After the manufacture of epoxy resin furniture became popular in the field of residential decoration, the direction did not cease to develop. Recently, very interesting ideas have appeared that can be considered unique. We are talking about the illumination of the countertop, as a way of additional decoration.
This idea is not new, because pieces of furniture have long been illuminated by LED strips or LED lamps. However, the illumination of epoxy resin has introduced completely new trends in the development of design.
Let’s say right away that the luminous elements of the countertop look very nice, but this is not the most practical option. The glow should be viewed in the dark, and with prolonged exposure to a dark room, bright elements cause eye fatigue.
The table made of epoxy resin with illumination will find its application in creating a special atmosphere in the room. You can demonstrate a masterpiece to amazed guests or relax yourself, considering the play of light, but in all these cases time is limited. Thus, the scope of illumination is defined.
Guided by the basic principle of the new trend, designers have developed many projects that are simply impossible to imagine. However, each potential owner of such an interesting table should represent all the variety of options. We will try to show the maximum number of options so that each person himself becomes the designer of his future order.
All epoxy tables in which illuminated elements are found can be divided into two groups according to the type of light.
- The first group is products in which the resin contains a special powder – phosphor. Luminescence gives a glow when the excitation energy is converted. There are several types of luminescence. A substance can emit light energy after irradiation with ultraviolet rays, as a result of a chemical reaction, as a result of electric current transmission or electron bombardment. Photoluminescence has found practical application in the field of construction. Here, the phosphor under the influence of natural light itself subsequently becomes a light source.
- The second group is products with electric illumination, it can be incandescent lamps or LED sources. One of the features of epoxy resin is its dielectric properties. All elements of the electrical circuit can be filled with a compound, and they will be reliably isolated. LED elements have low power, so often the power source is poured into the resin along with the backlight. Such options are considered disposable. It is not possible to replace the supply element or the LED. More reliable models contain a current converter and are connected to the network.
The total number of backlit design solutions is in the hundreds, so it is impossible to describe all the diversity. Considering that a number of models were created using fundamentally similar technologies, we will present the most popular examples of countertops design.
Multi-colored lighting is great for creating a romantic atmosphere. Point sources are used, dispersed over the area of the countertop in a chaotic manner.
You can order lamps in the online store. Many models can change color. The light modes are switched from the remote control.
A striking example of the use of phosphor is a tabletop with cavities that are filled with epoxy resin. These cavities can be natural or cut into the slab with a special cutter.
For the manufacture of such tables, a relatively small amount of resin is needed, which significantly reduces the cost of production. The use of white LEDs will allow you to create pictures that simulate the starry sky.
It would be preferable to use a darker background of the countertop, but do not forget that most of the time the product is operated without illumination.
For the manufacture of tables, not only longitudinal, but also transverse sections of the tree trunk can be used. The transparency of the epoxy resin allows you to preserve the natural pattern. If you add color and phosphor to the composition, you can get decorative illuminated tables.
The river table has gained wide popularity. There are a lot of variations of his performance. The resin, tinted blue, imitates a pond. The role of the shores is played by a wooden slab. In this way, you can create a picture of a river or a standing pond. When phosphor is added to the resin, the water begins to glow in the dark
And here is a table with a fiery lava depicted on its surface. The secret lies in the fact that an LED strip in epoxy resin is mounted in the cavities of the slab. This composition is one of the varieties of the river, only red is used instead of blue filler.
Red-hot lava is poured onto a slab base or can be formed by a solid layer of epoxy.
If you use a lot of small components as a filling, you can save on the amount of resin, but at the same time it will visually seem that there is quite a lot of it. This effect will increase if there is a phosphor in the composition.
Pros and cons
Pieces of furniture made of epoxy resin with the presence of luminous elements are not so common. They are often very beautiful, but not always practical. Therefore, let’s talk about the pros and cons of such products.
- The advantages include the original design and appearance of the product. There is no need to say what effect the backlight will create when the external lighting is turned off. Such tables help to create an atmosphere of celebration, romance or an identical moment. The lighting is turned on a birthday in the process of blowing out candles on a birthday cake, at a romantic dinner. You can come up with a whole series of events where the colorful design of the table will play an important role.
- Epoxy resin is harmless, it does not emit toxins and can come into contact with food. Even if metal or plastic elements are used as decoration, they are filled with a layer of resin.
- Resin is an insulation for the elements of the electrical circuit, so there is no need to lay the wiring in special sleeves during installation. The resin is poured directly onto the circuit elements.
There are several disadvantages of the illumination for epoxy tables. All of them are taken into account when choosing a table, since the purchase may not correspond to the purpose.
- The cost of models with backlight is high. Any products made of epoxy resin are considered handmade and it will not be possible to buy them cheaply.
- When installing electric lighting it is necessary to use only LED strip or LED lamps. Those lamps that are heated will not work as the resin may begin to melt.
- A significant disadvantage is the inability to dismantle the LED. If you use a phosphor, then such a problem does not arise, but in models in which the tape is filled with resin, and in particular, the power supply is filled with resin, the failure of the circuit element will be fatal.
- Epoxy resin by its physical and chemical properties is excellent for the manufacture of countertops. However, it is absolutely necessary to be careful. Products should not be cut on the surface of the table, since large shock loads can negatively affect the condition of the gloss. Any chips or scratches are easily corrected by applying a thin layer of resin, but if the material is painted, it will be very difficult to choose a similar color.
When working with epoxy resin, deviations from the strict algorithm are possible, but they relate only to decoration. Resin imposes strict requirements that are mandatory.
On the Internet you can find detailed instructions for making different versions of countertops, videos and master classes. We will reflect the main stages, without going into details and various subtleties of the process. Two types of countertops imply two different approaches to their production.
Worktops with phosphor
It is necessary to prepare a draft of the future composition. If there are no drawing skills, then it is advisable to make at least a sketch. In the layout, it is important to follow a few basic rules.
- The resin is poured into the cavity. It is necessary to cut these cavities in a wooden array or slab. Alternatively, you can use several plates, and pour epoxy resin into the space between them.
- It will be possible to adjust the brightness of the backlight by changing the amount of phosphor. Do not try to make the backlight too bright, as this can cause eye fatigue.
- It is not necessary to mix all the resin with phosphor. The project can have only separate zones with illumination. It is not recommended to make a large area luminous. It is better to divide it into small zones.
- Phosphor is a powder that does not dissolve in resin, but is evenly distributed throughout the volume. A large area will freeze for a long time. There is a high risk that during this time the powder will settle at the bottom and the zone will be illuminated unevenly.
After forming the countertop and fixing the decor, it is necessary to get rid of dust, small sawdust and other parts of the tree that can form suspensions in the resin. The resin is prepared according to the instructions, but it does not specify how to mix the dye and phosphor correctly. The dye and phosphor are added to the main composition even before mixing with the hardener.
Filling should be done in portions. First you need to fill in all the cracks. If this is not done, then during the hardening of the resin, air will be released from the cracks, which is represented in the resin in the form of bubbles. Then the areas are filled with resin with phosphor. After a day, the final resin filling is performed. At the final stage, the surface must be sanded and polished.
Countertops with LEDs
The LED strip must be laid so that the light sources themselves are not visible. To do this, recesses are made in the slab, and the tape is glued to the horizontal walls of these recesses. It can be fixed along the perimeter of the slab, but it must be attached to the side faces. If the tape is laid on a horizontal surface, then it is recommended to tint the resin so that the LEDs themselves are not visible.
The power source is a household network, so the finished table should be located close to the outlet. It is necessary to ensure that the power cord does not interfere with movement around the room. Do not leave the backlight on unattended for a long time. Otherwise, the filling technology is no different from the standard manufacturing of a table with epoxy resin.