Resin Art is an art direction where people paint with epoxy resin. It is developing rapidly, and has gained worldwide fame. For the first time, such ideas were implemented by Australian artists. Gradually, the technique of creating drawings using epoxy migrated to other continents.
Anyone can try their hand. All that is needed for drawing is a two—component composition of epoxy resin, including the material itself and the hardener, as well as a suitable pigmenting agent.
During the chemical reaction of the basic composition with the hardener, a bonded polymer is formed that retains its shape, volume and texture. It is thanks to the tinting of the material that you can get a masterpiece painting. It can form independent canvases and decorate pieces of furniture, self-leveling floors, panels.
Tinting the resin is not necessary. Transparent compositions are applied to a pre-prepared surface. Photographs, drawings on canvas, small wooden or metal objects can be used as decor. But of particular interest are paintings made of epoxy resin, created on a clean cloth. Pigments and dyes are added to the main composition even before the mixing stage with the hardener. As a result, a whole palette is obtained, similar to the watercolors of a real artist.
The principle of creating paintings is that the resin is poured onto the surface of the canvas or other base. The material of different tinting does not mix with each other, but forms separate zones. Not every brand of epoxy resin will allow you to zone the area in different colors. Liquid resins will mix with each other, so you need to work with a special material designed specifically for Resin art.
At first glance, painting with epoxy resin does not require special skills. Indeed, when creating an abstraction, you can apply paints in turn and call the resulting picture a masterpiece.
To create real images, you should have artistic talent. Some paintings by professional masters are in no way inferior to those made in oil on canvas.
Even when creating abstract images, it is recommended to watch a master class. The technique of preparation and application of resin is filled with many different nuances.
Epoxy resin has gained its popularity as a building material. It is often used in household repair work. But recently, the unique properties of resin have been used in applied art, decoration and interior design of premises. On sale, it is represented by a liquid composition, initially divided into two components.
Individually, these components can be stored for a long time without losing their physico-chemical properties. But when mixed, the material hardens, and it is in the hardened form that it is most practical. The resin can be processed, sanded, sawed, drilled. The original shape of the workpiece is preserved at the same time.
A high degree of strength allows the use of epoxy as binding elements in the manufacture of fiberglass. It is popular in the aviation and automotive industries. As for the artistic application of resin, its basic qualities are also important here.
- The resin in its frozen form retains its shape and volume.
- The liquid composition forms a perfectly flat horizontal surface when pouring.
- The workpiece can be ground and polished. If scratches appear over time, they are easily removed by applying a thin layer of resin.
- The transparent array is not subject to the destructive effect of ultraviolet radiation. After tinting, the colors retain their juiciness, and the decorative elements filled with resin do not change their appearance.
- High strength allows you to fill floors in industrial premises.
Resin for Resin Art
Not every brand of epoxy resin is suitable for creating drawings. Modern manufacturers in the characteristics specifically indicate that one or another type of epoxy is intended for drawing Resin Art.
But if there is no such mark, then the buyer should focus on the viscosity of the composition. Excessively liquid resins of different colors will mix, give whitish areas in the places of contact. If you expect a complete solidification of each layer or color, but it can take months to create a picture.
Three requirements for the material that are imposed by the masters of Resin Art:
- optimal viscosity;
- absence of whitish stripes;
- minimal spreading of the lens or stain.
The components are mixed in a special container, but the pigmentation of the main composition should be done before the addition of a hardener. It is advisable to use small containers.
- Firstly, a large amount of material leads to an intense reaction with the release of heat, as a result of which the resin can boil.
- Secondly, with an increase in volume, the probability of the formation of air bubbles increases.
Two factors negatively affect the result of filling.
It is necessary to add dyes, pigment paste and hardener in the right proportion, it is indicated in the instructions from the manufacturer. The slightest deviation from the recommended indicators can lead to damage to the material. Good adhesion of resins for drawing allows using aluminum or copper chips, precious metals, wood chips as a pigment. Using phosphor, they create glowing pictures.
Resin Art resin is demanding to the conditions in the working room, although the temperature range for it is wider. The material can be prepared at a temperature of 18°C/64,4°F, but the viscosity will increase slightly. The optimum temperature is considered to be 22°C/71,6°F.
If component “A” or the main composition was stored incorrectly, then it may thicken over time. Warm water will help to bring it into working order. But it will not be possible to save component “B”. If the storage conditions are violated, a characteristic yellowing appears, and if such a shade is not provided in the picture, then this hardener will have to be abandoned.
Most of the Resin Art paintings are abstract in nature. To draw something tangible, you need to be an artist and have several types of epoxy resin in your arsenal.
Professionals draw relief paintings and use high viscosity resins. But creating realistic masterpieces requires a large number of shades. Each shade is induced and stored in a separate container, this is a very time-consuming process.
Most often there are various kinds of abstractions, but there are quite a lot of options for original solutions. The “sea” theme is considered popular. It can be recognized by the dominant blue color. All marine-themed paintings are conditionally divided into two categories. In some there is only an imitation of water, while the latter create the appearance of a coast with a sandy or rocky landscape.
The image of the abyss and the power of the ocean is achieved by a combination of blue or white. It is necessary to foam the resin. So the image of sea foam will turn out. We are talking about numerous air bubbles. If there is no experience in obtaining natural foam, then make stains with white paint. In any combination of white and blue there are associations with sea waves.
The second type of paintings is more diverse. Not only paints are used as a filler, but also natural materials.
For example, the shore is lined with stone or shells, but there are variants in which the picture is painted exclusively with tinted resin.
Natural stones in their natural form give ready-made images of the coast.
Paintings with a combination of green, white and blue look good. A clear boundary between the zones is performed by installing vertical fiberglass sides.
For smooth transitions, you do not need to select an entire palette. It is only enough to take a resin of suitable viscosity so that partial mixing of the layers occurs at the interface.
The paintings with the earth’s surface are a real masterpiece. Stones or any other suitable materials imitate continents, filling areas with resin with various shades of blue – seas and oceans, in white shapeless formations – the atmosphere.
If you choose the right resin viscosity, you get a three-dimensional picture. It looks quite realistic. The combination of red, white and black colors give the effect of red-hot lava.
Materials and tools
A lot of time is spent on painting pictures. There is one nuance here. Who is engaged in the production of crafts made of epoxy resin, it will not be difficult to prepare a workplace. In addition, work experience will allow you to avoid mistakes.
It is more difficult for beginners in this matter. Do not exclude the possibility of mistakes, after which you will have to re-prepare the material.
First of all, you should prepare tools and materials for the list.
- The work surface can be protected with a plastic film.
- Masking tape. It will close all the elements on which the resin is undesirable. For example, they cover the sides or the lower part of the base.
- Plastic cups (optional attribute). A tablet with a future drawing is installed on them. So he did not stick to the film with leaking resin.
- Construction level. The surface of the tablet should be horizontal.
- Personal protective equipment (gloves, apron, glasses).
- Resin cups (according to the number of colors).
- Wooden sticks. It is recommended to mix the components with wooden sticks. This way fewer bubbles will form.
- Improvised means for image formation, it can be toothpicks, sticks or glass tubes. Some techniques are carried out with a hair dryer.
- Gas burner. The resin is heated with a flame so that air bubbles come out of it. In the presence of a hair dryer, it is advisable to use the latter, since it is safer than an open fire.
How to draw
There are many who want to draw some abstraction on their own. For the purpose of familiarization, it is necessary to have general information about how paintings are created.
- An important part of the algorithm is the preparatory stage. The work begins with surface protection. Since the table is most often used, its countertop should be protected from accidental ingress of resin drops.
- The drawing will be executed based on. Whatever material it is made of, it must be sanded and dust removed. Then the surface is covered with soil. If the liquid resin starts to soak into the pores, it can ruin the drawing. The soil should be completely dry.
- You can tape the sides of the canvas. Part of the adhesive tape will rise above the surface of the tablet. It is quite enough so that the resin does not flow over the edges of the base.
- The base is set strictly along the horizon. A wide variety of methods are suitable. You can put coins under the table legs or use adjustable stands.
- Each color of paint is poured into a separate cup. Shades are obtained by mixing paints. This is quite acceptable, but the most important thing is to make the color before mixing the main composition and the hardener. The proportions must correspond to those specified in the instructions for this brand of epoxy resin.
- The components are thoroughly mixed. Resin with added dye will perfectly show whether the components are well mixed. It is impossible to assess the mixing quality by transparent resin. It is recommended to mix the composition for 3 minutes. At the same time, the intensity of movement with the wand should not be high, otherwise new bubbles will form in the composition. The time allotted for the work of the master depends on such a parameter as the lifetime of the resin. Its average value is 40-60 minutes. Later it will be impossible to work with this composition.
- The required amount of paint is poured onto the base. Disperse the resin stain with a hair dryer or a wooden stick. Layer-by-layer filling is possible, but the artist must understand what kind of result will be obtained when applying colors. If the painting has a background, then the paint with the background is poured over the entire area of the base.
- The next stage is the direct drawing of the picture. Portions of paint are poured onto the canvas and moved with a straw, a hair dryer or a wooden stick. It is advisable not to touch the spread resin stain after adjusting its position. There is no hurry in this process. In order for the resin not to freeze, it is recommended to direct only the colors needed at the moment. And in small quantities. This approach will increase the time spent, but will save from damage to the material (if the resin freezes in the cups, it will have to be thrown away).
- The tape is removed after the resin begins to harden. In consistency, it should resemble honey. If the resin does not flow down under its own weight, it is distributed with a wooden stick along the edges of the canvas.
- By heating the resin with a hair dryer or a heating pad, they achieve the release of air bubbles. Caution must be exercised. The flow of hot air from the hair dryer can set the resin layers in motion. The picture may change somewhat. As a final action, some masters prefer to pour a layer of transparent epoxy resin on top of the painting. It gives the image an additional volume and serves as a kind of protection.
Where to buy a ready-made version of the painting
This question is asked by many connoisseurs of unique art. It is more practical and more profitable to buy such a picture. You can do this without even leaving home. We are talking about ordering via the Internet. It is only necessary to form a query in any search engine. The system will provide dozens of resources where it is possible not only to choose, but also to order any composition.
The price of the product depends on the complexity of the work. A lot depends on the master himself. All works with epoxy resin are considered copyrighted, so the manufacturer’s fame may have an impact on pricing.