Many of us regularly dream of a vacation with an ocean view, so that the sun plays on the shells, foam splashes caressed the sandy shore. So why not bring a piece of this paradise to your interior, because there is such an opportunity. Yes, today our master class will be dedicated to creating a sea of epoxy resin.
We will consider three main technologies for creating a seascape: liquid, mechanical and 3D effect. For each of them, you will need epoxy resin, dyes and paste-an additive to the resi wave (wave effect) epoxy, which you can buy in any store with goods for home creativity.
How to draw a picture with epoxy resin, we have already analyzed. It’s time to try something new.
Canvas is perfect for drawing in a liquid style. You should not choose this method if you plan to draw inside plywood or frames with edges: they may be spoiled by splashes, and the waves themselves will not turn out to be sufficiently alive.
The texture of the finished painting will not differ in any way from the usual epoxy resin product: it will be smooth and without additives. No additional decorations other than sand can be used in this method. Jewelry just won’t be able to stay in the picture.
Instructions for making a painting:
- Dilute the epoxy, mix it with dyes. Use shades of not only blue, but also pink to create the effect of a lake or sea at sunset. Mix deep colors by adding dye drop by drop into a lighter mixture, and light ones — drops of white into a deep one.
- Pour the prepared compositions over the picture in the form of a sea. There is dark water at the top, sand at the bottom, and light water in the center, fill in the cracks between the paints with transparent epoxy. First, pour a sandy-colored epoxy, if necessary, quartz sand can be added to it to a density, and wait until it seizes, then the coast will not mix too much with the sea.
- Mix dark and light water, chat the picture.
- Add foam — white epoxy resin with an additive paste. The foam strips near the shore should be wider than the strips in the sea.
- We move the picture to achieve the greatest liveliness of the waves, create a drawing with our own movements and using sticks. You can blow on the picture through tubes to create natural waves.
- Align the color on the edges and let the picture dry.
This option is perfect for novice needleworkers. It is quite simple to draw pictures from epoxy resin in this way, it does not require any special materials and techniques, it is enough to turn on the imagination and set a positive attitude.
In fact, in this technique we will thicken the liquid picture a little and give the foam on it airiness, and the waves depth with a hair dryer. This technique is neater than the previous one, it is often painted inside special tablets and on round wooden frames.
The texture of the finished painting in this style will look and feel more realistic. For it, it is desirable to mix sand-colored epoxy resin with quartz sand, to a thick viscous liquid. If you want, you can immerse small additions, like shells, in such sand.
Step-by-step manufacturing technology:
- Dilute the epoxy, mix with dyes, knead the foam additionally.
- Pour sand on the bottom of the picture, create a sea. Dark color up, tightly pour light to it, on top of it you can drop a few drops of dark for a smooth transition, add transparent epoxy to the gap between the sea and the shore.
- Create an overflow between dark and light with a stick, add foam.
- The movement of the waves is done with a hair dryer. First, warm up the picture with a weak vertical air flow, and then revive it by directing a more powerful flow from the depth to the shore. Experiment with the direction of the airflow to create a bright and original landscape.
- If necessary, add decorations to the sand, for example, small shells, pebbles and let the picture freeze.
It is not difficult to make the sea from epoxy resin or the ocean in such a technique, moreover, it does not take much time. However, if you are working inside a wooden blank for a painting, you should be careful with a hair dryer so as not to stain the edges.
Painting with 3D effect
To draw such a picture, you will have to spend more time and effort, but its value will be significantly higher. Since this image will be three-dimensional, it is better to use special wooden blanks with a hole for epoxy resin inside. You will also need a good paint for the bottom layer, preferably from a construction store.
The texture of a seascape with a 3D effect is easily described by the phrase: a piece of the sea. It will be voluminous both in appearance and to the touch. In the shore, created from epoxy and quartz sand, you can and should add jewelry of any size: stones, shells, starfish, etc., do not limit yourself in anything.
Technology of creation:
- We dilute the epoxy resin, mix it with dyes, knead the foam and sand.
- We ground the surface on which we will paint with construction paint, except for the shore. Use a nice neutral shade of blue, neither light nor dark. Azure or protective blue will do. To draw the sea at sunset, respectively, choose neutral pink or lilac.
- We spill the shore and create the sea. From dark to light, we leave a wide strip of foam near the shore and a couple of narrow little ones in the sea.
- We create a drawing with a hair dryer, direct the jet from the top of the picture to the bottom. Then we give the first layer to freeze.
- Apply more transparent layers of water above the shore line, add narrow strips of foam.
- We create a wave with a hair dryer by moving the airflow from the edge of the foam along the wave, that is, up. You can make as many layers as you like, but the optimal number for a small-sized painting is three.
- Let the resulting masterpiece dry.
An original piece of the sea, made with your own hands, will always create a good mood and warm the soul from the inside. However, it will take a lot of effort and patience, you will have to make all your care so as not to spoil the edges-the frame of the picture. Nevertheless, do not forget that creativity should be a joy, and believe me, the ocean created by this method is worth any effort.
Safety precautions when working with epoxy resin
Epoxy resins are not dangerous if safety precautions are followed.
- Work in a well-ventilated area.
- Do not drink, smoke or eat while working with resin.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after work.
- Always use personal protective equipment: a respirator, vinyl or nitrile gloves, safety glasses, armbands and an apron.
- Avoid direct contact with hardeners, epoxy resin, sanding dust. In contact with the skin and eyes, it causes irritation. If epoxy resin, hardeners or dust from grinding got on the skin during work, remove with wet wipes, followed by rinsing with water and detergent.
- Individual intolerance to the material and allergic reactions are possible, in case of their manifestation, immediately stop working with the material and consult a doctor.
- If resin or hardener gets into your eyes, immediately rinse your eyes with water for 15 minutes and consult a doctor. Avoid swallowing materials. If you have swallowed epoxy resin, drink plenty of water and call a doctor immediately.
Store in an airtight container in a dark place at room temperature, at a distance from heating devices, separately from food, in a place not accessible to children. Keep away from ignition, sources of open fire, sparks.