Currently, decorations made of wood and epoxy resin have become very popular and have become fashionable due to their exclusivity. This is a bright unusual jewelry that can complement any image. In addition, such products are very light, resistant to various influences and can be created with their own hands.
Three amazing properties
Epoxy resin (epoxy) is a polymer material that imitates glass in a frozen state. However, by weight, the polymer is several times lighter than glass. Epoxy resin is actively used to create decorative items and jewelry. This is facilitated by its three most pronounced properties:
- Plasticity. In appearance, the resin is similar to glass, but it is much easier to influence it. Therefore, you can make jewelry of different shapes and sizes from it, sharpen the edges and give the appearance of crystals.
- High adhesion to different materials. Epoxy perfectly adheres to wood, metal, glass, plastic and other surfaces, which allows you to combine it with almost any bases.
- Resistance to negative influences. When frozen, it does not leak moisture, does not fade in the sun, does not beat when falling. Epoxy resin jewelry will last a very long time, there is no doubt about it.
Note that this resin is environmentally friendly and completely safe for the skin. Another important feature of epoxy is the affordable cost. It is purchased to create jewelry for sale or as a hobby. On the Internet, you can even find whole sets for creating interesting objects with your own hands.
Types of jewelry
Wood and epoxy resin make it possible to make a large number of all kinds of jewelry, rings, pendants, bracelets, earrings are made of them. Any combination is selected and is limited only by the creator’s imagination. The tree can act as a base or decorative element. In addition to such jewelry, you can add:
- real flowers and berries;
- metal elements;
- rhinestones and sequins.
Treated and filled with resin wood forms an unusual pattern, which is actively used in the creation of rings and earrings. The epoxy mixed with a colored paste or a glow-in-the-dark pigment (luminophore) looks beautiful.
Technology of creation
Original jewelry made of epoxy resin and wood can be created independently. But before that, you should familiarize yourself with the features of the technological process. To work, you will definitely need a number of tools, as well as properly selected material. If you are trying such a hobby for the first time, it is recommended to buy an epoxy:
- specialized for creating decor and jewelry;
- together with a hardener;
- with increased transparency properties;
- with the right dyes.
It will also be useful to watch the master class to understand what nuances you will have to face in the process of work.
Tools and equipment
To create your own epoxy jewelry, you will need:
- plastic molds for pouring or improvised formwork;
- container and thin mixing stick;
- knife or saw;
- grinding tool (sandpaper, circles, paste);
- milling machine;
- glue gun or hot glue.
A complete and accurate list of tools depends on the intended product. Tinkering must be done with gloves, goggles and a mask.
The working surface should be flat, and the room should be well ventilated, preferably with forced extraction. For a number of procedures, such as pouring resin and polishing the product, a respirator will be required.
When working with epoxy resin, it is necessary to strictly observe the safety rules. The composition should not come into contact with foreign objects, and even more so with food products. In case of contact with the skin, you should immediately wash it off with plenty of water.
Stages of work
The first stage in the manufacture of jewelry is the creation of a sketch. You need to be clear about what you want to get in the end. This is followed by the preparation of materials and the workplace. The process itself includes the following steps:
- Mixing the resin. At this stage, a hardener, coloring paste or pigments are added if necessary. It is very important to observe the proportions specified by the manufacturer.
- Pouring the mixture into the formwork. The shape must match the characteristics of the future product. Epoxy and wood are added at the same time. The filling can take place in several layers, which will allow you to correctly place the decorations inside the polymer composition.
- Solidification. On average, it takes 24 hours, but the process can be delayed for two days. Be sure to close the container with the composition for this period so that foreign elements and dust do not get into it.
- Marking of the workpiece. The contours of rings, pendants or other elements are drawn on the frozen resin.
- Cutting. Rough cutting of unnecessary elements and giving a basic shape.
- Processing. Giving a clear shape, grinding, polishing, coating with additional solutions.
In order for the wood to last as long as possible, it needs to be treated with a special composition. The finished decoration can be covered with a transparent varnish, or you can leave it in its original form.
Secrets and useful tips
To make jewelry that is not inferior in beauty to jewelry, break off wooden bars manually. This will create asymmetrical stripes and lines giving an original pattern. When bubbles appear, you can put the composition in a container with hot water so that they come to the surface. Cut the resin so that it resembles a crystal. It is best to frame the product with metal fittings.
Beginners in this hobby are recommended to try several different compositions to understand which one to work with best.
First, you should learn how to cast the base and process it, and only after that combine the epoxy with wood and other materials. For this purpose, special molds are ideal, which can later be replaced with homemade acrylic formwork.
Handmade jewelry made of epoxy resin and wood always looks fresh and original. It is exclusive, since it is impossible to repeat exactly one or another product. Creating such jewelry will be a great hobby or a way to earn a little extra money.